Ready to Get Certified? Take These Steps to AICP Certification
GET EDUCATED AND GAIN EXPERIENCE
AICP applicants: You must meet specific criteria for education and experience before you apply for certification. Check out the AICP eligibility requirements and find out if your experience qualifies.
Students and New Graduates
The AICP Candidate Pilot Program is an alternate path to certification that allows you to take the AICP Certification Exam before earning professional planning experience.
APPLY FOR AICP CERTIFICATION
If you are eligible, you can apply for AICP Certification. APA accepts applications twice a year — in June (for the exam administered each November) and December (for the exam administered each May).
APA resources can help you submit a successful application.
- How to apply for AICP Certification
- AICP Certification application tips
- AICP Guide Part 1: Certification Application with complete application details
- AICP Guide Part 2: Taking the Exam with complete exam details
Many employers support their employees' professional advancement by paying for some or all of the costs associated with earning certification and belonging to AICP. Does yours? Before you ask your employer for this financial assistance, download a helpful flyer with information to support your request.
APA members facing financial hardship may apply for the AICP Exam Fee Scholarship, which offers assistance to members who have delayed taking the AICP Exam.
PREPARE FOR THE EXAM
See APA's five-step approach to exam preparation and links to many resources to help you succeed. The Chapter purchased the 2017 study manual. If you are interested in using this resource for preparing for the exam please email email@example.com.
APA National recorded their April 2021 prep session which can be accessed via the links below. This nearly-three-hour workshop is available in six parts:
- Welcome Remarks and Exam Prep Tips
- Fundamental Planning Knowledge (25% of exam content)
- Plan Making and Implementation (30% of exam content)
- Areas of Practice (30% of exam content)
- Leadership, Administration, and Management (5% of exam content)
- AICP Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct (10% of exam content)
BECOME AN AICP MEMBER
You successfully submitted an application for AICP Certification and you've passed the exam. What happens next?
- Pay AICP dues as soon as you receive APA's emailed invoice.
- APA will confirm your right to use the AICP credential.
- You'll receive an AICP welcome packet. Congratulations!
Detailed information about AICP eligibility, applying for certification and taking the exam, exam scoring, and more is in AICP Guide Part 1: Certification Application and AICP Guide Part 2: Taking the Exam.